- About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2020, an estimated 276,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 48,530 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
- For women in the U.S., breast cancer death rates are higher than those for any other cancer, besides lung cancer.
- As of January 2020, there are more than 3.5 million women with a history of breast cancer in the U.S. This includes women currently being treated and women who have finished treatment.
- Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women. In 2020, it’s estimated that about 30% of newly diagnosed cancers in women will be breast cancers.
Get your mammography screening today!
First Medical Care is now offering mammography screenings, adding to our list of services. Offering this service allows First Medical Care the ability to treat patients for all their health needs, save them a trip to multiple medical facilities, and reduce financial burden. As the ONLY clinic in Decatur to offer this service, our mission is to help save lives by detecting signs of breast cancer early!
First Medical Care has partnered with Athena Imaging, https://athenaimaging.com/. The partnership provides well-trained mammography technicians and radiologists who are located on site. The machinery is top of the notch 3-D digital giving the best images possible to detect signs of breast cancer. Athena Imaging performs and analyzes the 3-D imaging during your appointment and your reports will go directly to your primary care doctor of choice. Any abnormal mammogram will be addressed quickly, and patients will be referred to another facility for further testing (diagnostic mammogram and breast ultrasound and biopsy if indicated). Most all commercial and Medicare/Medicaid insurance plans cover once a year screening.
Don’t wait and get your screening today! It could save your life!
Call First Medical Care today to schedule your mammography screening: 770-934-6832
- American Cancer Society. How Common Is Breast Cancer? Jan. 2020. Available at: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/about/how-common-is-breast-cancer.html. 2. American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2020. Available at: https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/cancer-org/research/cancer-facts-and-statistics/annual-cancer-facts-and-figures/2020/cancer-facts-and-figures-2020.pdf. 3. National Cancer Institute. BRCA Mutations: Cancer Risk and Genetic Testing. Jan. 2018. Available at: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/genetics/brca-fact-sheet. 4.American Cancer Society. Breast Cancer Risk Factors You Cannot Change. Sept. 2019. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/risk-and-prevention/breast-cancer-risk-factors-you-cannot-change.html.